JUST IN: U.S. Government Speaks On Lekki Shooting

The United States has finally broken its silence on the alleged #Lekkimassacre, calling for immediate investigation into the excessive use of force by the military in Lagos.

In a statement on Thursday, the Secretary of State, Michael Pompeo described Tuesday’s shooting of protesters at the Lekki toll gate as barbaric and should be investigated.

The statement read “The United States strongly condemns the use of excessive force by military forces who fired on unarmed demonstrators in Lagos, causing death and injury.

“We welcome an immediate investigation into any use of excessive force by members of the security forces.

“Those involved should be held to account in accordance with Nigerian law.

“We extend our condolences to the victims of the violence and their families.

The statement added that peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are “essential human rights and core democratic principles” that should be respected by authorities.

The U.S government urged the security forces to exercise maximum restraint and “respect fundamental rights and for demonstrators to remain peaceful

Nobody Died In Lekki Shooting – Sanwo-Olu

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has said nobody died after soldiers reportedly shot at demonstrators at the Lekki Toll Plaza on Tuesday.

Mr Sanwo-Olu stated this in a broadcast on Wednesday.

While praying for those injured, the governor said “we are comforted that we have not recorded any fatality as against the widespread circulation on social media.”

#ENDSARS: NECO Reschedules 2020 SSCE Examinations

The National Examination Council (NECO) has rescheduled its ongoing Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE) over Endsars protest.

Mr Azeez Sani, Head, Information and Public Relations Division, NECO made this known in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja on Sunday.

”This is to inform the general public and especially candidates that the National Examinations Council (NECO) has been constrained to reschedule the Paper I Computer Studies Practicals earlier scheduled to take place on Oct. 19, 2020 at 10a.m. to 1p.m., for Monday 16 Nov. 2020 at 10a.m. to 1p.m.

”This unforeseen incident has been caused by the ENDSARS protest that blocked the free movement of transport at the City entrance gate Benin.

”The NECO delivery truck had left its take off point well in advance on Friday, Oct. 16, earlier to deliver examination materials to some states and has been held up in the blockage since then.

”The Council wishes to assure all stakeholders and the general public that the affected examination materials have been retrieved and are intact.”

The council however regretted any inconveniences the rescheduling may cause stakeholders, saying that the council had taken this decision in order to maintain the integrity and security of its examinations procedures for seamless conduct of the Council’s examination.

#ENDSARS: IGP DEPLOYS ANTI-RIOT POLICE NATIONWIDE

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered immediate nationwide deployment of anti-riot police unit, the Police Mobile Force, PMF, to protect lives and property of all Nigerians and secure critical national infrastructure across the country.

A statement by force spokesman Frank Mba on Tuesday said the IGP has also ordered massive deployment of Police operatives to strengthen security around Correctional facilities nationwide.

“The orders are coming on the heels of increasing attacks including acts of arson and malicious damage to public and private facilities as recorded in some States of the Federation including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

“Consequently, the Commissioners of Police in the thirty-six (36) States of the Federation and the FCT are to identify and isolate law-breakers from peaceful protesters; immediately arrest and diligently prosecute such perpetrators of violence in their respective Commands.

“The IGP notes that twelve (12) suspects have been arrested in connection with the attacks and arson on Police Stations in Benin, Edo State. Five (5) AK47 rifles earlier stolen from vandalized Police Stations have also been recovered.

“The Inspector-General of Police calls on members of the public to avail the police with useful information that can lead to the re-arrest of the fleeing inmates, unlawfully released from Correctional facilities. Meanwhile, the IGP has advised parents/guardians to prevail on their children/wards to steer-clear of acts of violence and criminality as the Force will henceforth exercise the full powers of the law to prevent any further attempt on lives and property of citizens,” said the statement.

JUST IN: Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-hour Curfew In Lagos

Lagos State Gov, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu just announced via his tweeter handle. The statement reads…

I have watched with shock how what began as a peaceful #EndSARS protest has degenerated into a monster that is threatening the well-being of our society. Lives and limbs have been lost as criminals and miscreants are now hiding under the umbrella of these protests to unleash mayhem on our State.

As a government that is alive to its responsibility and has shown a commitment to the movement #ENDSARS, we will not watch and allow anarchy in our dear state.

I, therefore, hereby impose a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State as from 4pm today, 20th October,2020.Nobody, except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.

Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu
Governor, Lagos State

#ENDSARS: STUDENTS IN LAGOS TO STAY AT HOME TILL FURTHER NOTICE

Following the tension caused by the ongoing #ENDSARS protest across the nation, the Lagos State Government has directed all pupils/students in public and private schools to stay at home following the tension generated by the anti- SARS protests.

Commissioner for Education, Mrs Folasade Adefisayo, who issued the directive today, said the safety of the pupils/students, parents and all staff working in schools is paramount at this critical period.

She however advised parents to keep an eye on their wards and not allow them to be used as willing tools in the hands of those who might want to hijack the protests to unleash mayhem on the society.

The Commissioner also encouraged schools to utilize other means of distance teaching and learning i.e radio, television and online media as they have been doing during and post the recent COVID-19 lockdown.

According to Adefisayo, a new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.

EndSARS: Preason Break In Benin, Inmates Freed

The Benin Prison popularly called White House, was invaded by suspected #EndSARS protesters and several inmates in one of the cells were also freed.

The armed squad of prison officials engaged the suspected hoodlums in gun fire which resulted some persons sustaining injuries.

Also destroyed was the High Court 4 which is beside the prison where the hoodlums vandalised

The Nigerian Police Force confirmed the report in a tweet.

“@policeNG regrettably confirms the unfortunate attacks on Police Facilities – Ugbekun Police Station, Oba Market Police Station and Idogbo Police Post by persons posing as #ENDSARS protesters in Benin, Edo State, today, Monday, 19th October, 2020,” the statement said.

EndSARS: Adeboye’s Wife Donates Trucks Of Food, Water To Alausa Protesters

Mummy G.O, Pastor Folu Adeboye

Folu Adeboye, wife of the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has donated three truckloads of food and water to the #EndSARS protest currently going on in Alausa, Ikeja.

We learnt that the items donated by Mrs Adeboye, popularly referred to as Mummy G.O, include: 200 cartons of bottled water, 1000 bags of sachet water and 27 bags of freshly made puff puff.

The nationwide #EndSARS protest against police brutality, which has entered its 12th day, is currently holding in Alausa and other locations across the country.

#EndSARS: Reps Summon IGP Over Police Brutality, Extra-Judicial Killings

The House of Representatives has issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Adamu Mohammed to appear before its joint committee on justice, human rights, police affairs.

IGP Mohammed is to appear before the committee over allegations bothering on police brutality and extra-judicial killings.

Addressing a news conference in Abuja, the chairman of the joint committee on justice, human rights, police affairs, Representative Ugonna Ozurigbo explained that the police chief is expected to appear next week Thursday, October 22nd, 2020.

Representative Ozurigbo urged victims of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) to furnish the committee with information that would enable it to carry out this all-important task.

The committee plans to conduct public hearings in the six geopolitical zones of the country, to hear the accounts of families of deceased victims and those that are unlawfully detained by the operatives of the defunct police unit.

Protesters have been demonstrating for over a week, demanding an end to police brutality and extrajudicial killings. However, the protests have intensified despite the disbanding of SARS by the police.

A rather ‘hurried’ constituting of a new unit which is to take over the duties of SARS seems to have further infuriated the protesters, making the demonstrations across major cities of the country more intense.

CNN Journalist Richard Quest Marries

CNN International’s top business journalist and anchor Richard Quest has finally tied the knot with his longtime male partner Chris Pepesterny.

The renowned news anchor took to social media to express his joy at having said “I Do” to Chris, sharing a beautiful picture with his lover in which they are all smiles.

Quest captioned the post: “We said ‘I Do’ at the weekend. Happiest day of our lives.”

In March, the two lovers were forced to postpone their wedding but promised to tie the knot before the end of the year.

“Today Chris and I were supposed to get married in London. Of course we had to postpone. Sad but necessary.  We will marry later in the year, with a bigger party. I wanted to acknowledge how we are all facing such difficult times, in so many different ways. This too shall pass,” he said then.

The two got engaged in May 2019, after his lover agreed to the journalist’s marriage proposal.

The New-York based Quest took to his Instagram page on Monday to break the news.

The post was accompanied by a photo of the journalist and with his lover smiling at the camera.

Quest has never been shy to proclaim or speak about same-sex orientations, including during his short visit to the country in 2018.

“I am obviously going to be advancing an agenda that says there should be at least the decriminalization of same sexual activity. It is straight forward. I am not gonna mess around with that one. That is obviously my belief,” he told Capital FM in an interview in Nairobi in 2018.

%d bloggers like this: